Sunday, September 25, 2011

Ulster Fry...oh me oh my!!

Well, its the end of another week at EBM!!  Its amazing how just next week, we will have been here for a whole month!!  Its crazy how fast time is going by.


So this week started off with meeting with the Kids GAP group on Monday morning for a little relaxing time....well kind of.  Each woman got the opportunity to sit in a chair for a 10 min relaxing massage.  Let me tell you, it was a great massage but it left me wanting more!! After Kids GAP ended at noon, I headed home for a wee second to grab some bags to go grocery shopping later that afternoon after my meeting with our site coordinator Doug.  After the meeting in the early part of the afternoon, I headed back across town to go grocery shopping.  Let me tell you that hauling groceries about a mile home is a tough job.  After resting for a few hours, Liz, Ellison and I went 10 pin bowling with Ellison's church.  I ended up winning a small trophy that I am to take back tomorrow to give to the next person.  I can't explain how their scoring system works or how a person who didn't break 100 and was probably the lowest scoring person got the gold cup, but it works!!









Tuesday was a pretty chill day with staff prayers at 9:15, meeting with my supervisor, working on a presentation for the Friendship circle the next day on who I am, where I come from and how I got to where I am today.  That evening, I went with the women's circle across the peace wall into a mainly predominate Catholic area to have our meeting in the Short Strand Community center.  That was a great fun meeting filled with making bead necklaces, bracelets or what ever you wanted to make, and talking about people's lives and their experiences with certain topics.  On Wednesday, I went to Kids GaP, where my job was to occupy the children while their moms, and caretakers learned a little bit more about breast cancer. It was interesting work trying to get one out of the toddlers to sit down and make a mask but it all turned out just fine!!  That afternoon, I did a small presentation for the Friendship Circle, the little elderly women who consider themselves recycled teenagers.  All went great and they loved the photos!!

Thursday, I went again to Nettlefield with Tanita to work with the P6 (ages 9 and 10).  That was fun telling them about the Prodigal Son and doing junk art about who they think God is and what he looks like.  Thursday evening was bible study where we learned about David and Goliath.  It was interesting to hear different opinions on it and look at it in a different light. Friday was Friday Fusion and the Drop in.  At Fusion, it was chaos but great fun as we fed the kids ice cream, to which they had it everywhere.  Running down their arms, on their nose, chin, face...you name it, they probably had ice cream on it.

Saturday, I had my first Ulster Fry.  The fry consisted of two pieces of bacon, two sausages, soda bread, potato break, a small thing of black pudding, and an egg.  I couldn't finish it all but what I did eat and finish was delicious!!  Maybe next time I'll see if the chef can give me a small plate instead of a normal sized one!!

Here are a couple of pictures of my time so far here in Ireland!!


  
Our group in Northern Ireland


  
A peace wall

Looking out over all of Belfast

No comments:

Post a Comment